Today, it is normal to see same-sex marriages everywhere in the world. However, since it is impossible for these gay and lesbian couples to have babies on their own, surrogacy is the only other option to have babies besides adoption.
Surrogacy for gay couples involves taking semen from one of the partners and combines with an egg from a donor. When the embryos are produced, they are artificially planted onto the womb of the gestational carrier, according to surrogateparenting.com. This is a woman who agrees to carry the pregnancy for the couple and deliver the baby for them.
Surrogacy tips for gay couples
Most of the gay couples looking to have a baby through In Vitro Fertilization do not have a wide group of surrogates to choose from. It is for this reason that many gay couples choose a relative or a friend to act as the surrogate. However, there are agencies that are coming up for this sole reason. These agencies provide gay couples with surrogates for a fee that is agreed upon between the couple and the gestation carrier.
Below are some of the tips to consider in case of surrogacy for gay couples:
- The woman should have had previous childbirths without complications. The period of pregnancy should also have been uneventful.
- The woman should be stable emotionally and physically and healthy too.
- In order to be certain, it is crucial that a full evaluation be done on the woman. You should have a lawyer. This is because there has to be signed agreements and consents between the gay couple and the surrogate. These documents should include the amount payable to the surrogate, the payment terms and conditions and the responsibilities of the surrogate. These documents are important because they can be reviewed in case of disagreements later due to a breach of trust.
- A lawyer is also necessary to help you through all the legal requirements when you are going for surrogacy for gay couples. This is because there are many regulations and laws surrounding this subject. It is therefore imperative to ensure that you fully understand and comply with these laws.
- Do a proper research on the surrogacy agency you choose. In case you choose to get your surrogate from an agency, it is important that you carefully go through their terms and conditions before you pick your surrogate. This is because different agencies have different policies concerning their interactions with gay couples looking for surrogates. With proper background checks and research, you are in a better position to choose the best agency to get your surrogate.
Surrogacy for Gay Couples
Above all the listed tips, it is essential to get the In Vitro Fertilization from an experienced and qualified medical practitioner. This is because it increases the chances of getting a healthy pregnancy and delivery. It also ensures that the process is safe for both the surrogate and the baby.
The practitioner should have the legal documents to show they are legit and registered by the necessary authority. Their price ranges should also be affordable to you. Very cheap prices are however a red flag because they may mean that they are not very efficient in their job.